So I was approached by the gorgeous Adoreabubbles to share this blog with you, after posting a photo of my lunch on Twitter.
I work in a pretty demanding environment, physically and mentally. Working in a warehouse requires a lot of lifting and concentration. Looking at the lunches I used to eat; crisps, chocolate, fizzy drinks, it was no wonder I was starting to feel tired and drained. I decided to change my diet, and so far, it has done wonders! I feel more awake, energised and have a considerable amount of energy left at the end of the day!
So what did I change? Embarrassingly, my typical daily lunch used to look like this;
1 cheese and ham sandwich (which I put in the toaster)
1 bag of crisps
1 bar of chocolate
1 can of fizzy pop
1 chocolate covered cereal bar
Not good! Not only am I feeling drained and tired, my skin doesnt like it either!
My lunch now?
Salad – lettuce, cucumber, tomato, a little cheese, cous cous and low fat mayonnaise
2 portions of fruit
1 glass of water
1 low fat yogurt.
I have been on this diet for 2 weeks now, and I love it!
I havent yet been on the scales to see of it is doing anything for my weight, but I feel a lot healthier, and the beauty of salads, is variety!
I decided to take a few random photos of the groceries I have been buying lately, and decided to share them with you!
Shape Yoghurts, not only are fat free, but fill you up for longer.
I have one of these with my lunch, and it sees me through until I come home. This is obviously amazing for reducing those urges to snack!
I have turned to smoothies in the mornings with my cereal.
Did you know that a 250ml serving of smoothie counts towards 2 of your 5 a day? Beautiful!
One of the above cereals for breakfast, is an amazing way to start the day! They contain nothing but good stuff, and slow release energy throughout the day! Before, I didn't have breakfast, and by the time it hit 10am, I was starving and found myself reaching for that biscuit barrel. Now, I don't feel the urge to eat anything until lunchtime!
As crazy as it sounds, if you are on a diet, but still need something sweet, keep a constant collection of sugar free jelly in your cupboards. It contains no sugar, no fat, no calories. So the perfect sweet snack, with no guilt!
However, if jelly isn't quite your thing, keep something reduced fat to snack on instead. I have found these shop own digestives to taste exactly the same as the real deal, with less fat! Perfect for tea dunking!
I think its safe to say, that we love beans! I am yet to come across someone who doesnt like these little guys!
Did you know that 2 slices of wholemeal toast and half a can of beans contains more protein than a steak!? Crazy, but I assure you true!
PLUS, beans also count as one of those 5 a day!
Remember those lunches I mentioned?
This is a classic example of my work lunch salad. This really does keep me going, and the only real thing containing any calories is the pasta, which is full of carbohydrates, needed for a balanced diet. So not all bad!
And yes, a fat free yogurt!
I also enjoy wholemeal pitta breads with humous, which is super tasty and I had 3 different portions of fruit!
I have also converted to decaf tea and coffee, which has lowered blood pressure and I have found it tastes just as good!
My husband and I have found that we now have enough energy in the evenings, we can go for a walk, swimming and have started looking into a evening sport.
I am also not falling asleep in front of the evening tele, which is a bonus, as I have been missing out on some great entertainment!
So to finish, I leave you with the 10 things I have changed within in my diet, which has ultimately resulted in me feeling great!
- I have purchased a daily pill box from the pound shop, meaning I can take all my daily vitamins in the mornings. I take daily Vitamin C, Iron and Green Tea. A green tea capsule contains all the goodness of the real thing, without needing to make 4 or 5 cups of tea a day!
- I start my day with a high energy, wholemeal cereal. I tend to eat porridge at weekends, as I find them to be more physically demanding! More energy means I can carry more shopping bags!
- Baked beans are my secret weapon – remember what I said about the protein levels?! Nice!
- I like to keep a cereal bar in my handbag, which I usually have as my mid afternoon snack! I am not eating chocolate or biscuits, and my hunger is suppressed for a few hours.
- I am now starting to drink a lot more water. My husband got me a BPA free bottle, which I continue to refill throughout my day. I have also found that drinking water could be the real reason behind any hunger.
- One pot wonders! My husband really enjoys being in the kitchen (I know, Im lucky right?) and he enjoys cooking casseroles, stews and hot pots. The beauty of these, not only the amount of vegetables that go into it, but also the ability to chill and re heat the next day! This ultimately means money is saved, and 2 or more healthy meals can be enjoyed!
- I do enjoy chocolate – so I like to occasionally have a bowl of chocolate cereal. This not only satisfies my chocolate cravings, but I am also getting a large glass of milk!
- My sugar free jelly is my evening lifeline!
- We have started to steam cook the vegetables in the microwave in steaming bags. This is such a healthier way of cooking veg, and helps to keep those nutrients in!
- I love my morning smoothie. And to fill 2 of the 5 a day, is such a weight lifted.
If you want to achieve your 5 a day, try my easy and wonderfully tasty menu!
Breakfast – 250ml of Smoothie
Lunch – Soup (Heinz tomato soups are amazing!)
Dinner – Meat and 2 different types of vegetables (I love broccoli, carrots and cauliflower)
Snack – 2 portions of fruit (Strawberries and grapes! Yum!)
I really hope you have found this blog useful. I am honoured to have been asked to write this blog!